Reboot Alberta

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Diefenbaker Was Right...Polls Are for Dogs!

Some trivia, trivialization and triteness for your late night consideration! I booted up this blog this evening and was thrilled to have a total of 917 votes on the site “poll” that asks which leader do you trust on environment issues? The poll on my blog site says 37% of you think no leader can be trusted on environmental policy. This site based “polling” is not only unscientific…it is not even dependable enough to be considered non-scientific. But it is fun.

All but some 100 poll participants of the 917 totally“random respondents” happened on the site this Saturday night. Lots of lonely misanthropes out there I expect. I think it is time for you to take your 8 Tracks and donate them to Value Village. It will be an opportunity to advance society as you know it, feel good about yourselves and get on with your lives.

I am flattered to have been “invaded” because it implies I have more influence than I deserve. Yes only a lawyer could be that arrogant. The other reality is that such site based polls are more pathetic then prescient. I prefer to think of them on both criteria of, non-prescient and yes they can be pathologically pathetic too. But they can be fun.

That said, I welcome the 917 citizens who have taken the time to make both points and demonstrate the folly of such “polls” (aka surveys) in general. In fact I expect the 917 “visitors” to my site are no less self selecting but slightly more “robotic” than those found to respond to traditional polling processes...but I could be wrong…do not mistake this comment for sincerity – it is unadorned and purely feigned humility.

That said again, I will continue the folly and offer such “polls” on this site. The questions in the future may be more appropriate to the "mind set" of the robotic respondents however. We need to focus so we meet the needs of this audience that I have attracted. I want them to feel welcome and to come back to the blog because they could be the essence of the George Bush “base” that inevitably want ot relocate troops into Canada when he pulls them out of Iraq. He needs the troops to go somewhere to s4cure oil supplies. He needs an alternative for returning troops other than unemployment for the next year so his term can end on a high note patriotically. Why not have the disenchanted retreating Bush Republicans become more appreciative of their northern energy alternatrive - Canuckistan? I hope this blog helps?

Please come back to this blog often you robotics, retreating Republicans and Harper Cons and invade the polls at will and even feel free to comment on occasion - but only if you are sentient.

I come from the premise that the best way to support democracy is to lie to a pollster. I am hardly a pollster but admire the "dissing" inherent in the civil disobedience, the prank-like dishonesty and intellectual disingenuousness exemplified by such a "poll" invasion. Such participation has invigourated this little blog site, perched as we are way out here on the edge of the blogosphere.

I neither honour nor salute you but I do offer you my indulgence. What questions would you like to see posed on this blog that are so trite that the answers will symbolize the essence of vagueness and vaccuousness (presuming that is a word)? Please no Anna Nicole Smith suggestions please. She has already had more MSM coverage than 9/11…there are limits of tolerance in the universe of tripe!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:44 am

    Could you cook something up that would poll the # of pairs of shoes, boots, sandles, and 'technical purpose' footwear that Canadians/ Albertans have????

    Dieing to have that issue normalized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your turn to be a bit cryptic, I guess !?! Not sure what you were trying to say, here, Ken.

    My friends & I mass-invade polls on smoking (of course), but I'm not responsible for this "invasion" you've experienced.

    I've been waiting for an appropriate posting, like this one, to tell you that I thought your interview with the U of A prof on the subject of opinion polling was EXCELLENT! It was truly informative, you were very professional yet relaxed and posed meaningful questions. A very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:51 am

    I like the anon comment on shoes. Yes the questions in these blog based polls, and the MSM newspapers on-line surveys too are pretty trite. But they at least get some people thinking about the fact we have to make choices and set priorities.

    Son of Gaia - thx for the kind words on the interview with Dr. Earle Snider on the dirty little secrets about polling.

    For those who are interested it is a video on our affiliate website www.policychannel.com. There is a link to that site on this blog.

    My point of the posting is such on-line surveys (they not really polls) are fair game for invasion. I don't feel "violated" by the invasion. I am more flattered by the fact that some people seem to think this blog has sufficient influence to be worth invading. It is just another anonymous "comment" by other means to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm...yes

    "a referendum on changing Stockwell Day's first name to Doris" - muahaha!

    That woke a lot of folks up to the inherent nonsense of polling and poll-style voting, too.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are discouraged. If you have something to say, the rest of us have to know who you are