Reboot Alberta

Monday, June 14, 2010

Politics in Cyberspace Presentation to ASBA Spring Conference

Here is the PowerPoint slides I used for the presentation to the Alberta School Boards Association on "Politics in Cyberspace" last week at their Spring Conference. I adapted the presentation for the workshop then next day for aspiringng and prospective school board trustees. 

Now I am working through a blog post of the proposed Governance Teams provisions of the Inspiring Education report. - Go to page 33 of the report for the start of that section.  My sense is I like the idea of governance teams but only if they come from the school boards themselves.  If the ideas is to enable and empower school boards to augment their expertise by recruiting or appointing people from the district's communities or from outside depending on the shortcoming of experience the school board may see in itself to meet a challenge, then I am all for it.

If it is a ruse to have the Minister or the department appoint or recruit additional school board members at their discretion then I am all against it.  That would further add to the centralization of power in the provincial government, add to the democratic deficit and increase citizen cynicism around our already deplorable political culture in this province. 

So come back to this site tomorrow and read my post on my take about the posibilities and pitfalls of the Governance Teams portion of the Inspiring Education report.  It all fits within Jim Bottemley's point in his ASBA Spring Conference presentation when he said "In the future we'll all be LEARNING  a living."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are discouraged. If you have something to say, the rest of us have to know who you are