Reboot Alberta

Friday, July 09, 2010

Time for Alberta Progressives to Become Activists Again.

UPDATE JULY 16  HERE IS A LINK TO SOME COMMENTS ON THE IDEA OF PROGRESSIVES BECOMING ACTIVISTS FROM THE LIBERAL PARTY OF ALBERTA BLOG AND WORTH A READ:
http://albertaliberals.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/reaction-to-the-cooperation-ads-a-sample/

I have been talking with leaders and others of the progressive parties as a result of David Swann's letter and "Let's Talk" advertisement as Leader of the Alberta Liberals.  I have also spoken at length with Dave King, fellow Reboot Alberta Instigator about the framing and intent of the Swann initiative.  Dave and I agree whole-heartedly about what are the limitations of the Swann suggestions but also about the potential for something to happen.

Here is the recent blog post of Dave King's that captures where my head and heart is at.  I am away next week but on my return I think you will see Reboot Alberta offering to host a gathering that will become a place for progressive politics and progressive political action to be discussed and action plans put forth by aspirational and actual political people - partisan and otherwise.

Stay tuned.  In the meantime if any of this interests you encourages you or makes you want to get involved in designing and defining a progressive political culture for the next Alberta...go to Reboot Alberta and sign up.

5 comments:

  1. Ken, I hope that you and ReBoot are able to pull together this gathering as you suggest, furthermore I really hope to see Brian Mason and/or progressive thinking NDP'ers in the room as well. This would be a very interesting discussion and I believe that it could help to shape the future of a Province. Great idea!

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to thank you for helping put "meat on the bones" of what it means to be a progressive in Alberta and not simply vote on the basis of party label. It's nice to have clarity as to what it is I want, and what are the key values I subscribe to. I am excited to see how all of this will develop in the coming months and few short years before the next election.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:13 pm

    As a lifelong Albertan, I have been heartsick at the right wing direction this province has taken, and heartsick at the continual failure of the centre-left parties. This is a very promising development, indeed.

    Progressives need to ignore the negative media and naysaying leaders and think for ourselves - what strategy will best bring us the reasonable and honorable government we deserve? Cooperation in some form or another is my bet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:26 am

    Progressive = left wing. Nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. workeradvocate2:16 pm

    Exactly and lets get started.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are discouraged. If you have something to say, the rest of us have to know who you are