Pages

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Why Are There So Many Anonymous Comments Blogs?

I have just rejected two comments that had just forwarded MSM stories on the Royalty Review. They provided no commentary, analysis or opinions of the person posting the comment. I see no value in those non-comments.

I am interested in what individual Albertans as citizens have to say especially in the comments to my posts. Links to news stories are great in comments. To merely expect the entire story to be accepted in total as a “comment” without more form the person sending it - is not going to happen.

I would like to have some reader feedback on anonymous comments too. Some Bloggers moderate comments and disallow anonymous comments. I moderate comments mostly for relevance (like my point above) and legal issues of libel. I have allowed anonymous comments.

I do wonder however why there are so many anonymous comments especially in a free and democratic society like Canada. What are citizens afraid of? Why are they hiding who they are when they speak out on stuff that is obviously important to them? So here is my question. Should I insist that comments on the Blog NOT BE ANONYMOUS?

Bloggers who can be identified as individuals and those who post comments using real names are so much more credible and provide more contexts to their remarks. At least I think so.

Let me know what you think. Should I continue to accept Anonymous Comments?